Life In Rome - What It's Like To Live In The Eternal City
Life in Rome has been one of the most wonderful experiences our family has had. Rome is without doubt one the most beautiful cities in the world. Every year millions of tourists come from all over the world to be in awe of the treasures and masterpieces of Roman art and architecture.
A first time visit to Rome can be very confusing for first-time visitors. We decided to build a website that will make it easier for others to uncover and discover Rome. We will offer lots of practical advice that will help you discover and enjoy the city and all of its beauty.
We didn't know what life in Rome would be like. But we quickly found out that it is a huge tourist attraction and millions of pilgrims travel here from all over the world.
If you are planning a trip to Rome; It's a very good idea to choose the date for your trip carefully. The best times of the year to visit are in the Spring and in the Fall. That is what we discovered living our life in Rome.
Here Are Some Of The "Highlights" On Our Site:
Attractions In Rome Find out the "must see" places in Rome.
Rome Travel Tips. Find out information about accommodations, transportation, shopping, places to go, and other helpful information.
The History Of Rome Find out about the many wonders this Eternal City has.
Where To Shop In Rome Find out where to find the best deals and the best places to shop.
Family Fun Find out where the best places to take the kids in Rome.
There Are Many Wonderful Places To Visit In The Eternal City
The Piazzas In Rome
are a place to gather and socialize. These are the most popular places the Italians love to spend their spare time. We didn't realize that life in Rome would be so hot in the summer time. With the heat and the crowds it can make the city life nearly unbearable. August should be avoided because this is the month that the entire country of Italy seems to go on vacation.
Traveling too late or too early in the year can also be risky because the opening hours for many attractions are shorter, and some are closed completely.
Rome's Fiumicino Airport is 19 miles outside of the city. A train station is located inside and you can travel straight to Station Termini near the center of town.
From there you will need to take a taxi or a bus to get to your destination. If you're carrying a lot of luggage or just want to make things easier on yourself, take a taxi. It usually costs around EUR 50 and the no-stress factor makes it worth the extra money.
The Famous "Trevi Fountain"
To plunge fully into the essence of Rome, we highly recommend staying in a hotel where you can simply walk out your door and into the heart of the city. Of course, the closer to the attractions you are the more you'll pay, but trust me, it's worth it.
We've found out that life in Rome is essentially a 'walking city.' When staying within the centre of Rome you will be able to walk and take in most of Rome's most famous places. Just be sure to wear comfortable shoes! We are very fortunate that we live in the centre of Rome and can easily walk to all the great historic sights.
Piazza Navona is our most favourate piazza in Rome
One of the things that we enjoy most about our life in Rome is that Rome is filled with great places to eat. There are many amazing restaurants tucked between Via del Corso, The Pantheon and Piazza Navona. Most have outdoor seating and offer similar menus containing pasta, pizza, veal, chicken, beef and seafood dishes.
The food is typically simple, fresh and delicious, and even the restaurants that seem to be tourist traps will still feed you well.
The Pantheon is a great place to stop and have a drink or a bite to eat. You will be amazed with the hole in the ceiling of the great church
Airfares typically drop quite a bit when the "off season" begins in the early autumn. This is the optimal time to visit Rome. The days are still warm, the nights are slightly cool, and the tour groups and travelling students have mostly disappeared.
If you can plan to stay a week, you won't run out of things to do and you'll still feel like you're leaving too soon. But if your time is limited, allow at least four days to see all of Rome's major attractions. It will give you a taste of what life in Rome is all about.
One of the things we love about our life in Rome is all the Roman Cats that are around. Apparently there are over 300,000 of them around Rome! Our daugher just loves to see the "Cat Lady" come by our building every day to feed all the stray cats.
Try not to cram the entire city into a two-day span and do nothing but run from place to place snapping pictures, you'll only be cheating yourself. After all, Rome wasn't built in a day and it can't be seen in one, either.
Are you new to Rome and you would like to connect with others? There are a lot of activities and events you can get involved with at
Expats living In Rome
Rome Search - in English!
Instructions For Using The Map Of Rome
-Left Click on any of the 4 arrows in the top left corner and the map will zoom in the corresponding direction of the arrow.
-Click on the plus or minus symbols to zoom in and zoom out.
-Click and hold the left mouse button to drag the map across the screen.
View Larger Map
- Rome Blog
- On the Rome Blog you will be able to post your opinions and suggestions about your experience of Rome.
- Life In Rome Blog
- This is where you will find all the latest information about Life-In-Rome.
- Rome Travel Tips And Suggestions
- Rome Travel Tips. We wanted to share with others some useful information about tipping, shopping, travelling in Rome.
- Rome Italy Weather - What You Can Expept.
- Rome Italy weather really varies. Check out this page on a weather chart.
- Transportation In Rome
- Finding transportation in Rome is quite easy. Here are the different ways to get around the city.
- History Of Rome - A Brief Description Of The Eternal City
- Are you looking for information about the history of Rome, Italy? Our site also provides all kind of information about visiting Rome.
- Rome Attractions
- Find out what Rome Attractions are worth seeing and some of the highlights to see while visiting Rome.
- The Piazzas In Rome Are A Sight To See
- The Fountains and Piazzas in Rome are a must see.
- Rome For Kids
- There are many things in Rome for kids to do. We've put together a page of ideas and great places to take the kids.
- Trastevere - A place you will not want to miss!
- Trastevere is a place where you will find charming buildings, amazing churches, and some of the best shopping deals in Rome.
- Amazing Churches In Rome Italy
- These are the most magnificent churches in Rome. There are so many wonderful sites to see in Rome Italy.
- The Temple Of Hercules Victor
- The temple of Hercules Victor is ancient edifice in the Forum Boarium in Rome
- The Pyramid In Rome
- There's a Pyramid in Rome! Find out about it on this page.
- Tivoli Italy
- Tivoli Italy is a small hill town only 45 minutes from Rome.
- Sienna - A beautiful little hill town in the Tuscan Region of Italy.
- Sienna - A beautiful little hill town in the Tuscan Region of Italy
- Orvieto Duomo. A hill top town outside the city of Rome Italy.
- Orvieto Duomo is a hill top town. Orvieto is about an hour north of Rome by train, and lies in the southwest corner of Umbria.
- Shopping In Rome Italy
- Shopping in Rome is a shoppers dream. You will find the most fashionable clothing in the world here.
- Accommodations In Rome
- There are many accommodations in Rome to stay in. Let us explain and suggest a few for you.
- Hotels In Rome Italy
- Are you looking for hotels in Rome Italy? We have some suggestions for you.
- Bed and Breakfast in Rome Italy
- Bed and Breakfast in Rome Italy. What to expect from a Bed and Breakfast in Rome Italy.
- Planning A Rome Honeymoon?
- Planning a Rome Honeymoon? Rome is a very romantic place to visit.
- Pub In Rome - Where to find a pub in Rome
- Pub In Rome - Where to find a pub in the Eternal City.
- Italian Coffee
- What type of italian coffee is available in Rome? Find out here.
- Rome Nightlife - Nightlife Tips And Information
- If you are looking for some rome nightlife here are some tips and information you will want to know.
- Life-In-Rome.com Disclaimer And Advertising Policy
- Disclaimer And Advertising Policy
- Rome Resources - Helpful Links
- Rome Resources - Pages we recommend
- Contribute to Life In Rome
- Would you like to share your knowledge about life in rome? Great, find out how you can submit your story or tip here.