Campo di Fiori
Campo di Fiori is popular both with the locals and the tourists. It is filled with cafes, restaurants and bars and is a favorite spot for lunch. One of our favorite places to eat is Ristocampo. It has a great variety of sandwiches, Panini's and burgers.
There are no palaces or churches but Campo di Fiori is always filled with people. It's definitely is a people’s piazza with its liveliness and vast charm. Every morning there is a fruit and vegetable market. This charming piazza is considered the best of its kind in Rome.
Above is The statue of Giordano Bruno
The statue of Giordano Bruno is at the center of the piazza. He was a philosopher who was burnt at the stake. He was denounced as a heretic. This statue also stands as a memorial to all the other philosophers who were persecuted for their views. This statue was erected in 1889. His statue stands at the very spot he was burnt. All public executions in the middle ages took place in this piazza.
There is an excellent selection of cheese in Campo.
Campo di Fiori is indeed a remarkable place as it accommodates all expected and unexpected events. It is multi functional and serves not only as a market place but also a place for seeing, buying, selling and displaying goods. It is also an area for public performances.
Campo di Fiori has evolved through the ages. It was a relatively flat area located directly around the west end of the temple of Venus and near the theatre of Pompeii. Since it was located at an intersection of streets and was close to both the Tiber River and the Pompeii it may have served the function of being a market place as well as a place where the people gathered.
This lead to the purchase of land around Campo di’ Fiori by other noble families and a spurt in the overall development of the area. In 1456 Ludovico cardinal Trevisan ordered the field to be paved as he realized the significance of the rapidly growing area. This was when the rectangular shape of the area was clearly defined.
In the Middle Ages it was in a state of neglect. It became an abandoned field of grass. However in the thirteenth century the Orsini family purchased property along the southern side of the field. This lead to the appearance of houses, eateries, warehouses, shops etc which, added life to the abandoned field. By 1450 a rival of the Orsini family, Count Everso dell’ Anguillara also bought houses in the area.
By the fifteenth century Campo became one of the most frequented areas of the city. Most of the important visitors to Rome visited this piazza, as it had become an important social centre of the city.
Two important streets were opened by Pope Sisto IV to link Campo di Fiori- the Via Florae and the Via Pelligrino. There is an inscription commemorating the opening of these streets on the corner of a building at the intersection of Via Balestrari and Via Guibbonari.
During the nineteenth century Campo became a marketplace and center for the sale of grain, produce and animal food. In 1859 it was enlarged and a flower market was added. In 1888 the statue of Bruno was added to the square as a symbol of free speech and independence.
By the beginning of the twentieth century up to date Campo has remained somewhat the same. It is a rectangular space 330 feet long and 150 feet wide. It has a broad paving of basalt and is surrounded by shops, a cinema, restaurants and bars. It has four fountains one each on its four sides.
Campo di’ Fiori is well-liked through the day and night. It is frequented by fruit and vegetable vendors in the day while its international style pubs attract a different crowd in the evenings. It also serves as an area for performances in the evening as well as a loitering spot for the young at night. It is also a setting place for Saturday carnivals. It is indeed a people’s square in all senses.
Return From Campo di Fiori To Home Page