The Temple Of Hercules Victor



The Temple of Hercules Victor (Tempio di Ercole Vincitore in Italian) is ancient edifice in the Forum Boarium in Rome. It's location is near The Mouth Of Truth. (Bocca della Verita).



It's a round temple in classic Greek "peripteral" design. It is completely encircled by a colonnade. The layout caused it to be mistaken for a temple of Vesta who was the Greek virgin goddess of hearth, home and family. It was later correctly identified by Napoleon's Prefect of Rome during the early 19th century. The Temple of Hercules Victor dates back to the 2nd century. It consists of a circular cella (inner chamber) within a concentric ring of twenty Corinthian style columns.

The columns supported the ancient architrave (upper section joining the columns) and the roof. Both of these have disappeared. The cella wall and 19 of the 20 original columns still remain, however the current roof after the work. This structure is the earliest surviving marble building in Rome.

In 1132 the temple was converted to a church which was then known as Santo Stefano all Carozze (St. Stephens 'of the carriages').

It is not known with certainty who dedicated this temple and what it was officially called. It believed to be connected with the legend of Hercules and Cacus, which is why it is now known as the Temple of Hercules Victor.



Return From The Temple Of Hercules Victor To Life In Rome Home